Fires That Forge: Book I Lords of Order and Chaos Series by R.J. Hansen

To begin, here are a few things you need to know about R.J. Hansen as found on Amazon:

"RJ Hanson has been a cop for over two decades. In that time, he accumulated a number of real-world experiences that have served to give him a unique understanding of the human condition and a perspective that gives his writing an honest grit. He has also benefited from years of training ranging from interview and interrogation techniques to hand to hand combat to SWAT tactics. RJ is a certified Firearms Instructor and Linguistic Statement Analyst. He currently serves as a Lieutenant in the Criminal Investigations Division of a small Texas police department where he specializes in crimes against persons.
He also enjoys the distinction of having scored a touch, or 'touche', against an Olympic fencer during a pickup match in college. He's really too proud of it.
In his youth he worked as a cowboy having grown up on a small ranch in north Texas. At the age of 16 he was selected for the TAMS (Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science) project at the University of North Texas where his young eyes were opened to the world.
In his spare time, RJ has studied medieval combat and military tactics as well as arms and armaments of various cultures and times.
RJ plays in a weekly pen and paper RPG game (Rolemaster) with some close family and friends and some of the characters played have been around since 1996!
RJ and his wife, Michelle, live on a small ranch where they maintain a modest heard of cattle, two dogs, a variety of barn cats, a peacock named Henry and a peahen named Margaret (aka Ferd)." 

You can find out more about R.J. Hansen and his work here:



For more information you can check out website www.bloodlinesreforged.com



You can learn more on Instagram @r.j.hanson or Twitter @rjhanson5



You can also follow me at https://www.bookbub.com/profile/r-j-hanson

or


I think what first caught my attention with this book was the mystery aspect. I love mysteries and thrillers, and it seemed worthwhile to dive back into the fantasy world to see how it would play out. The synopsis garnered my attention as well as the book cover. Both gave me pause, and I decided I should give it a try. After all, if you've been with me on this journey, you'd know that I've learned never to judge a book by its genre. 

If you'd like more evidence of my journey into not judging books by their genres, try reading my blogpost reviews for authors Timothy Hammer, Julia Ash, and J.D. Hart

If it helps you, dear reader, here is the synopsis and book cover to give you a little more info on the book before I dive into my review of it (Also from Amazon): 


"Murder. Lies. Betrayal. Magic? Can one inquisitor’s quest for the truth in a city bound for chaos save its soul? A serial killer roams the shining streets and dark alleys of the great trade city. How can you count yourself safe against a murderer that may wield magic as a weapon? As the body count rises, those in power demand someone pay for the heinous crimes. What if the one that stands accused is innocent? Is there still such a thing as innocence in Moras?



When he learns that his life-long friend is the sole suspect, the decorated veteran turned King’s Inquisitor takes it upon himself to save his friend and root out the murderer. Already struggling to keep the doors open to his hospital for those the city has forgotten, the young physician must now also find a way to prove his innocence and dodge the hangman’s noose.



Can the Inquisitor find the elusive killer before the executioner calls?



If you enjoy murder mysteries, psychological thrillers, and epic swords and sorcery fantasy tales, then this story is for you! 


Charged with tension and intrigue, this thrilling tale of murder and betrayal will leave you second-guessing your own suspicions… and perhaps your perceptions of right and wrong as well.

Return to the exciting world of Stratvs and the adventure of the Bloodlines Reforged Saga!"
www.bloodlinesreforged.com

Now, I'm ready to give you some reader insights into this book and how I felt toward it. I hope you will join me with an open mind. Perhaps, you will find a new book to read and author to love. Remember, there's always a chance for *SPOILERS* ahead; so, enter with caution.😉 


Numeric Breakdown:

1: didn't like it
2: it was okay
3. liked it
4. really liked it
5. it was amazing


1. Writing Style: 3/5
The author begins with a page or so of information and description. The narrative is definitely there and feels a bit expository in its presentation. He introduces us to one character, vaguely, and then moves us onto another. This second character is given a name and appears to be the main character of our upcoming story. 

The writing presents a very clear author's voice. His word choice and descriptions give the reader a clear picture of the characters and setting. The overall tone reminds me of what I like to call a more "old-school" design. Some authors fall back on this descriptive telling, and I've been known to do it as well. I think it's most useful in books that come from a historical point-of-view. 

What I mean by this is that if you're reading a book by Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Henry James, Edgar Allen Poe, Frank Herbert, J.R. Tolkien, Mark Twain, and Ernest Hemingway, you're bound to expect this type of presentation. Now, you can argue they are represented as different writing styles, and I would agree with you. Austen is known for her romanticism and neoclassicism. Ernest Hemingway is considered a journalistic writer, simple and direct. Henry James is the bridge between literary realism and modernism. I'm sure if we broke it down, you'd be able to pinpoint all of the specific tone changes and differences. However, I feel that when I read these authors, their classic take is often in developing a writing style that utilizes a fair amount of description, narrative bursts in telling, and to some degree, symbolism. 

With that said, the reason I link them all together is for those main facts: narrative description. They can go paragraphs and pages into details. This lends itself to anticipation and/or knowledge of what might already happen. It builds the story up in its own way and drives the plot along. Most authors use this literary device to give background information when they have no other way of expressing it. I see it most often in historical fiction pieces, but it can be a pattern in other genres as well. 

This leads me to the point of view being shown. Its third person shows a multitude of characters coming into play. More often, the protagonist, Silas, is our main character and the one of which we have a more omniscient view. The other characters are described as we meet them in this third person context, where the narrator seems to be sharing about his players. 

In terms of the mood presented by the language and style of writing the author conveys, I'd say it fits in with an ancient world delving into death and magic. The writer has a firm grasp on the tools to create such a setting, where the readers feel entrenched in the environment they are being exposed to, and that lends its own positive frame to the story. 

I'm used to these types of writing styles, mood settings, and narrative telling; so, it's not something I deduct points for off the bat. As I said, this type of literary device fits in with the world the author is creating. However, the sustained use of this writing style, the desire for a bit more dialogue or action to move the story along, especially within the first few chapters, leaves me feeling a little less than impressed. 


2. Overall Content: 3/5
When we're introduced to Silas of the House of Morosse, there is the initial pinprick of anticipation. We're just told his father and mother have been murdered. He's walking down the street, bare-footed, and in a hurry to arrive at the Inquisitor's house. When he reaches Dunewell's home, he discloses what has happened and questions if heading to the Inquisitor's house was his best move.

After that, we're dragged into Dunewell's point of view. Here we learn of some of the other characters who will play a role in the story, and we are given a lot of narrative about who is who and how they came into being. For me, jumping from one point of view to another was a great literary device in terms of keeping the story moving. It, definitely, is a device I love to use myself. However, the onslaught of information presented by Dunewell kind of decreased the anticipation I felt building when Silas was first introduced. 

During this new chapter, I had to figure out if this was after Dunewell had talked to Silas concerning his parent's deaths or afterward. That led me to wonder what had happened during those moments between Silas's confession and Dunewell's charge of a gathering. This funeral procession was uninterrupted by dialogue. It established a plethora of other customs, characters, and suspicions. 

The book continues its plot by going back and forth between Silas and Dunewell. We get to see their points of view throughout, and we become familiar with their attitudes toward the murder of Silas's parents. My favorite parts of these chapters are the moments in dialogue. However, there are a lot of characters introduced via dialogue, and sometimes, it's hard to distinguish between the characters and what they're talking about during these bouts of dialogue. I find myself confused by the different characters' conversations. 

It isn't until about three quarters of the way into the book that it really starts to show its twists and turns and heat up. There were a few engrossing scenes Silas played out, and the addition of a possible vampire murderer added to the plot as well. It was a far more riveting portion of the entire plot. I wondered how the vampire and Lord of Chaos would go about things moving forward. 

The ending is open and alludes to a future book. A complicated mass of action has finally climaxed, the answer to the deaths is revealed, and we are left to wonder about the next book. The last quarter of the book was much more fast-paced than the first three quarters of it. I have to say it was far more involved and thought-provoking as well. 

I do appreciate the turns between the characters. I always enjoy different points of view, past and present, and other changes between the chapters. It does keep the interest piqued. This book did utilize this tool which is nice. 

Different portions of the plot were engaging, such as: different pov, contrasting characters, questionable character motives and backgrounds, the introduction of magic and vampires to the overall storyline, the decent dialogue interludes, and the faster-paced ending. These are all positives to the overall content. I do appreciate descriptions as well. It helps when they are broken up throughout, but they are always appreciated to get a sense of the characters, setting, and other various details to the story's construction. 

Author R.J. Hansen has a remarkable vision. His attention to detail and thought-out world is astonishing and really in-depth to read. He has a solid plot to share with readers and genuine building blocks to create his vision. The story has an original idea that I've never read before, and I like the distinctive concept he brings to the table. 

Although there are positives to this story, I felt there were a few things that kept me from falling in love with it. It features some particular attributes that have the makings of a fascinating conspiracy, but it falls a little flat for me in the recitations that come into play within each and every chapter. I'm a fan of the use of narrative descriptions in certain books, genres, and situations, but I do appreciate the use of other literary devices to spur me along as a reader. I suppose a little more dialogue, action, and showing would have helped the comprehensive scenarios as they were being played out. Of course, I kept with the book to ascertain who the guilty party was and what they were hiding; even though I didn't feel connected to the main characters, just curious.


3. Hooks/Attention-kept: 3/5
The most important piece of detail was the who, why, and how for the murder mystery. There was a lot of world-building here which gave you cause to suspect everyone, but in the end, the real hook was trying to figure out who the killer was. Although, I can't specify any real connection to the characters, I did find the red-herrings and foreshadowing well done.


4. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the genre: 3/5
I think the main genres specified on the Amazon page for this book, psychological thriller and sword and sorcery fantasy books, held some agreement with the overall plot content. However, I think magic and sorcery would have been a better descriptor. Also, mystery and/or historical fiction might have been closer to the truth. 

There wasn't a lot of sword fights, but there was evidence of sorcery throughout the read. I thought the details were well-developed and thought out for this part in the book, and the descriptions were helpful, if a bit too much for me at times. The mystery was slow in its progress, even though it started with a bang. If it could be termed a psychological thriller, I'd have to say it was a subtle presence. I can see the psychological portion of the sub-genre, but I can't say the thriller was the word that came to mind when reading through this book.


5. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the content: 3/5
This book has a lot going on in it, which I typically love. The build-up of the mystery, the details and background of the world were solid pieces of the plot, and I truly appreciated the depth, time, and research that must have gone into creating this involved world. It was a masterful portion of the plot, and it created a whole new experience for me as a reader. 

Now, I appreciated the various characters and their personalities, but I have to say I didn't feel connected to any of them. They were created with great thought and care, but the immense descriptive parts within their chapters, the confusing secretive portions, and the way they appeared to hold walls up to the reader was realistic on one hand because we couldn't make out their secrets or figure out if they're the "bad guy" or not, but at the same time, it doesn't allow us to see other sides of them that might attach us to the character and become more invested in them and their story. 

Plus, there's so much going on between Inquisitor Dunewell's personal story and his attempts to investigate the death of Silas's parents that I can't keep up. There's stories involving his father, a leader of combat, someone he meets up with and inexplicably kills, his interactions with Silas - which are rehashed over again from his and Silas's pov, stories of vampires and the High Cleric, and it all becomes a little overwhelming. Mostly, because I'm not sure what applies directly to the plot itself and what seems to be filler. Also, the pace of the actual investigation seems slow, and I'm unsure if it's getting anywhere.

On the other hand, Silas has his own interest in the suspected vampire killings; he and the inquisitor have a friendship which seems to shadow the investigation; Silas appears to be keeping secrets and might be the killer, but it feels as if half or more of the book is where the reader suspects Silas but has no concrete evidence for doing so despite his manner and the narrative on his end. 

I did enjoy the dialogue between the various characters; I appreciated the sly efforts of Silas; The mystery did keep my attention because I wanted to know who it was and how much Silas knew or was involved, but I have to say that it was difficult to keep my interest intact throughout the entire novel. I apologize for being so blunt, but it was a difficult read for me. I feel others might enjoy this book and author if they enjoy historical content, creative and elaborate world-building and background knowledge, and an entrenched plot full of extras. 


6. Overall Story Rating: 3/5
To end, I think I was descriptive enough throughout the blog review to share my likes and dislikes of the novel and my reasoning behind it all. This author has vision and is a master at building a world you do believe in as well as a mystery that keeps you guessing. As I mentioned before, I had a difficult time reading through, and I think a portion of it had to do with the lack of connection I felt to any of the main characters. The narrative and descriptions overshadowed the dialogue and action for me. 

It was an interesting read which held promise, but it wasn't my cup of tea at this time. This is just my opinion; I hope others will give it a try if they enjoy historical content, fantasy, creative and elaborate world-building and background knowledge, pages of narrative and descriptive writing, a more fast-paced ending, and an entrenched plot full of extras. 

Overall, I give it a 3/5 with the intent that "I liked it," but I didn't love it. Thank you!





Thank you for joining me, and as always, Happy Reading!!
~Rebecca Reddell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg