My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

As you may have noticed, I'm a fan of reading a plethora of genres. Throughout this willingness to take on new reading experiences, I find myself drawn to books that others share with me as well. When a friend mentions a book that he or she has loved, especially from their childhood, I find myself wanting to read the book. This is such a case as the one with My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

When I was told that this book represented a large part of my friend's childhood, I was intrigued. I wondered how this book, read repeatedly throughout the years, could have impacted my new friend. Curiosity led me to pick up my own copy and find out more about this novel starring a young boy who wanted to live off in the country all by himself.  

Jean Craighead George passed away in 2012, and up until the end, she did what she loved doing best: writing books. She finished her last novel about four days before she died. That book, The Cougar of Flat Creek, as well as two others she'd previously finished have been published posthumously. Readers can still enjoy her over 100 works of stand-alone and series novels today. 

George began writing when she was in the third grade, and her first novel was published in 1948, with Vulpes, the Red Fox and followed the next year by Vision, the Mink. Both were cowritten with her husband, John L. George. She provided the illustrations for her books as well, especially the earlier children's books. 
 
Earning her degree in Science and Literature from Penn State University, George went on to become a reporter for The Washington Post and a member of the White House Press Corps. It wasn't until after her children were born that this author went back to her passion for the great outdoors and nature at large. Her father had instilled a love of wildlife and camping during her childhood, and she showed that love throughout her many books. 

She shared her inspirations for her books on her website and through many interviews. Her answer to the evolution of My Side of the Mountain can be found in this specific Q&A: 

My Side of the Mountain has always been one of my favorite books. What inspired you to write it?

Let me tell you why I wrote My Side of the Mountain. When I was a kid, my father, who was an entomologist and ecologist, took my brothers and me into the wilderness along the Potomac River near Washington, D. C., our home. He taught us the plants and animals, where to find wild asparagus and other edible plants. We made lean-tos to sleep in, fished with our own homemade fish hooks and basswood fiber lines and trained falcons. My brothers were two of the first falconers in the United States and gave me a falcon to train when I was thirteen. It was a glorious childhood.

When I became a writer I wanted to tell about those wonderful days. I wrote eight books before I saw a way to get Sam out in the wilderness without the park rangers or his family coming to get him. He would tell his Dad he was going to go to the family farm in the Catskill Mountains. Then I put myself in Sam's head and began to write using my own adventures, including eating all those delicious foods.

I have written the sequel, On The Far Side of the Mountain. When I started it my daughter Twig said, "Put a girl in this book." and I asked, "Who?" Her answer was, "One of Sam's sisters. and make her just like my independent little girl, Caity." And that's what I did after spending a summer in the Catskill and Helderberg Mountains studying the plants, animals and trails.

If you have any other questions contact: 
jean_mail@barrow.com

Her work was awarded over 20 awards including the distinguished Newbery Medal in 1973 for Julie of the Wolves. The award was provided by the American Library Association for her esteemed contribution to literature for children. In 1960, My Side of the Mountain became a Newbery Honor Book. It was even made into a movie in 1969! This author was highly acclaimed for her literary legacy and the insight she brought to her readers about the life of animals and plants.
 

Below is my breakdown into the wonderful world created by Author Jean Craighead George in My Side of the Mountain. Please join me in seeing how this children's book has captured the attention and respect of a reader not in the intended target audience. ;) 


Numeric Breakdown:

1: didn't like it
2: it was okay
3. liked it
4. really liked it
5. it was amazing


1. Writing Style: 5/5
My Side of the Mountain is written in first person, and it centers on the life of Sam Gribley. Having the ability to hear Sam's thoughts and feelings throughout the book is helpful, and in delightful ways, the writing veers into narrative diary style where Sam writes out his thoughts, how he copes with new situations, and illustrations to show readers how he does things.     

The descriptions invite you into the story as Sam takes you through his journey and each new adventure in the wilderness. The text is highly engaging; giving you an unexpected plot, a courageous character, and an inside look at what the great outdoors means to a young man running away from home. 

I read through the book quite quickly, not only because it's a children's novel, but because the writing is charming and gratifying.

2. Overall Content: 5/5
Jean Craighead George gives readers the chance to absorb the escapade one step at a time. The mistakes and miscalculations make Sam human and relatable, despite the need to suspend reality when dealing with a boy living alone in the woods. Sam's knowledge of the great outdoors does help with this issue to some degree as well. I suppose it leads you to be a little less skeptical about a boy taking off from his family and where they live in New York in order to go off into the Catskill Mountains and find a piece of land that belonged to his father's father. However, George does just this for her audience as readers dive in and attempt to see everything from Sam's perspective.

Like the author prefaces at the beginning of the book, many readers are likely to have dreamed of running away from home when they were younger. I know I had that inkling a time or two growing up, and it helps cement my relationship with Sam a little further. His character not only appears to be adventurous and courageous, but he seems to know what he's doing out there. If that doesn't instill confidence in the reader about Sam's obvious ability for success nothing will.

Learning more about nature from Sam's experiences is a wonderful portion of the book. Details about plants and animals and how Sam uses them give legitimacy to the story. They are also great teaching lessons to the less-informed, such as myself. 

I really love the details about how Sam created his tree house, what he used to fish, how he created his own diverse meals, and how he kept warm in the winter. His friendship with a local librarian and others who stumbled across him in the woods were sweet but reinforced Sam's desire to stay out of society. However, the interactions proved to him that living off the land with his pet falcon, Baron Weasel, and other animal friends could prove to be a little lonely at times.

The content of this story that allows you to learn and imagine and live vicariously through its main character creates a must-read story for anyone at any age.    

3. Hooks/Attention-kept: 5/5
There seems to be something constantly happening in the world of Sam Gribley. Each chapter reveals a new way to utilize nature to live, a new animal discovery, a new person that he meets or escapes from meeting, and so much more. It's definitely a lively tale with enough facts and exploits to keep you entertained. Even in the dead of winter, when you're hoping he doesn't freeze to death, the author gives us some anecdotes to enrich the tale being told.

4. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the genre: 5/5
It's a children's book; so, it's a quick read, but it also allows you to enjoy an adventure that reads a bit like a memoir. I like the different plot George takes with this story. It's original and not a telling that has been told multiple times and by multiple authors. I'm sure Gary Paulsen is the only other author that comes close to Jean Craighead George's scenarios and style of writing. However, George's writing is completely unique in its telling, and she makes sure she gives you a story worth reading.

5. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the content: 5/5
I loved the whole book. It took me back to my own childhood and the desire to escape at times. The set-up of the story, writing style, and main character gives you a lovely take on living out in the middle of nowhere. It was a fun read, and I think that sometimes you need those beautiful and simple stories to balance the more in-depth and mind-twisting books you sometimes pick up. Living in someone else's vision of how life should be was an excellent reminder of how the unpretentious and no-nonsense lifestyle can have its own set of allurement. Plus, George's own particular talent of sharing her nature knowledge through her novels allows you to learn something new as you read and enjoy the great outdoors from the comfort of your couch.


6. Overall Story Rating: 5/5
If you guessed by now that my clear delight of this book was leading to a 5/5 rating, you would be right! I loved this book! It was something I wouldn't have normally read, except for the suggestion from someone I know. However, I'm more glad than I can say that I took the time to read it. The author certainly writes a compelling story about the pros of the countryside and living off the land. It's a sheer wonderland of capability, awareness, and adventure. 




Thanks for joining me, and as always, Happy Reading!!
~Rebecca Reddell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg