Georgette Heyer - Romance At Its Finest

Romance isn't necessarily the genre definition you are most ardently familiar with in today's literary terms. "In the strictest academic terms, a romance is a narrative genre in literature that involves a mysterious, adventurous, or spiritual story line where the focus is on a quest that involves bravery and strong values, not always a love interest" (https://literaryterms.net/romance/). In yester-year's terms, this genre can have relationships as a part of their overall storyline, but not always.

This genre can include what we commonly designate as mysteries. This crime-oriented classification, where whodunits revolve around culprits and solving the crime, can overlap with other sub-genres to create thrillers, detective fiction, crime fiction, and more. This form of entertainment is heightened by the suspense and tension in each mystery and how the author effectively conveys these emotions. These scenes can propel the story forward and add apprehension and uncertainty to what you, as the reader, are trying to figure out for yourself.

Whodunits are a personal favorite of mine. I particularly enjoy the crime and detective genres, but I also love the romantic genre as applied to its common definition and meaning of a "mysterious, adventurous, or spiritual story line where the focus is on a quest that involves bravery and strong values," and I find that these categories do indeed have some overlap.

Life has taught me a deep admiration for those who can solve secrets and problems that arise in terms of crime. This delight was formed when I took up Nancy Drew at the tender age of seven. It was around this time or a little later that I also enjoyed the rote mysteries of The Boxcar Children, Trixie Belden, and the occasional whodunits of The Baby-sitter's Club and Sweet Valley High Twins. There were so many fun mysteries to dive into and figure out, and I loved trying to realize who the villain could be before it was revealed. 


As a child, it amused me to consider the idea that I might one day become a detective. Each new novel was an opportunity for me to prove how easy it would be for me to figure out who the culprit was. Growing up, I continued to relish mysteries and continued reading a variety, as well as watching so many great mystery shows such as: Veronica Mars, Ultraviolet, Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown, and more.

I ended up finding a few books I held in high regard by Mary Higgins Clark, and she's one I would often read. From there, I began reading a variety of authors until I found Agatha Christie, Lisa Gardner, and Robert Galbraith. These are the authors I've read the most often, and I've greatly appreciated their twists, turns, and thrills. Each new reveal gave me the greatest satisfaction. The world of detectives, crime, and action-adventure is a great read because the main protagonist always gets the criminal in the end. Justice served.

When I branched out, I started to read more historical fiction. It's where I was first introduced to the wonderful worlds created by Georgette Heyer. Her quirky characters are beloved, enthusiastic, intelligent, and memorable. Her plots are humorous, fantastical, historically accurate and engaging, and well-written. I've often considered Heyer similar to Jane Austen in regard to her Historical, Medieval, and Regency fiction and most like Agatha Christie in regard to her mysteries. She also is known for her crime fiction. Research shares that she did base her Regency work after Jane Austen, but there is so much more to her world than this.


To find out more, check out these sites:















Numeric Breakdown:

1: didn't like it
2: it was okay
3. liked it
4. really liked it
5. it was amazing



1. Writing Style: 5/5

The third person point of view gives you an omniscient, or sometimes, limited preview into the lives of Author Georgette Heyer's characters and is most often her go-to writing style. She has a flair for description, incorporating wit and charm into the matter-of-fact illustrations and explanations of her posh surroundings, devious villains, and savvy main characters. Her writing flows with the elegance of someone comfortable with her literary elocution on a level that, perhaps, mirrors and surpasses her everyday speech.

Funny enough, although Heyer was the leader in Historical Romantic fiction and a conqueror of the Regency era, which was the same time period Jane Austen wrote in, she branched out to tackle historical fiction, even Georgian, and romance through her detective fiction. Her works were full of forward thinking, sassy women who won the day, and a striking contrast between the independent heroines and the men they love.

Often, Heyer is considered a modern or updated version of Jane Austen. In fact, many readers and critics alike have mentioned that she is the "next best thing to reading Austen."

I, myself, have commented that her detail to setting and accuracy of language is similar to Austen's style, but it remains easier to digest for me. There are certainly differences between Heyer and Austen's work. As far as the Regency era novels, Heyer had to research and keep on hand an extensive reference of the life and times, setting, and various aspects of this period. Many critics have argued that her novels are filled with over-explaining and an overtaxed amount of details, but others will tell you this is a hallmark of her writing and helps the audience to submerge themselves into this world with even more ease and consistency.

For me, I never found Heyer's work to be over-detailed. I thought she maintained a fine balance between the explanation and illustration of her character's world. Most of her plots are completely character-driven. You become immersed in the existence of the time and personalities she has created, and her dialogue is endearing and purposeful. The language draws you in as much as the setting and delivers a more distinctive temperament than anything else. I have found the combination of her conversations to reveal so much about the inner workings of her characters, and it delights me to hear their utterances from the serious to the silly.

Georgette Heyer uses language to her credit and does not incite the wrath of her antagonists lightly. The characters she creates are one of a kind, humorous, and break the mold when it comes to the typical. I don't think I've ever read a book of hers and thought that it was an exact replica of anyone else's, and that includes Jane Austen. Her humor is in turns dazzling and cutting, and she uses it in an blunt and pleasing way that I've never quite found in Austen. You can definitely see the differences between these authors, and although I'm an adoring fan of Austen, I have to say that Heyer is a leading contender with originality, voice, and entertainment.


2. Overall Content: 5/5 
Her mysteries are the epitome of excellence. She utilizes foreshadowing, adventure, clever antagonists with their own hubris, pertinent atmospheres with established settings, witty dialogue, and classic protagonists with comic relief to captivate her readers. Her historical novels are exact in their components and recreated with meticulous consideration. Her Regency romances were considered a champion to accuracy and romantic sentiment.

I've heard there are critics who have cited her detective fiction to be "unoriginal," and I can't fathom why they would ever go so far as to spout such nonsense. In my opinion, besides Agatha Christie, whom I have likened Heyer unto as well, I don't know of anyone who has a more solid and well-developed plot or comedic and endearing group of characters. Each of her twelve mysteries are perplexing as you dig at the clues. Yes, there are signs that point to the villain as you go, but there are bewildering reasons, red-herrings, and all manner of conflicting accounts to make you change your mind a time or two as you read.

Every one of her books have been read more than once. I can't begin to think of what a world without Heyer would be like, and I never want to find out. Her clever discourse and bold protagonists are fun to read. I never tire of picking up any of her books, whether they are her detective fiction or her romances. They are good, clean fun with the absurdity and hilarity, captivating psychology and personas that keep you reading until the very end.

In this portion of the review, I wish I had more time and a plethora of words to really describe the uplifting tone that Heyer sets with each of her books, and how inviting and tantalizing each read is, but there really isn't a thesaurus big enough to accomplish that feat. I must say that if you love or even just like Jane Austen's or Agatha Christie's work, then you must try Georgette Heyer. Even if you aren't overly fond of those two authors (I'm heartbroken!), I still encourage you to try her work and see for yourself why each of her novels rank the highest rating in my world.


3. Hooks/Attention-kept: 5/5
Heyer is without a doubt the greatest at keeping a reader reading. To name a few of her books, I have to say that the level of inanities that arise in her first Regency romance, The Convenient Marriage, is unbelievable. The fact alone that the main character, Horatia, is willing to go and ask the man who wants her older sister's hand in marriage to marry her instead is enough of a hook to keep you going. However, she incites enough mayhem to show you that to stop before the end will leave you unsatisfied. 


The Grand Sophy is a personal favorite, and it never fails to amuse. If the fact that this independent heroine has her own way of doing things and doesn't mind butting into the lives of her relatives when she sees they are headed down sorrowful paths doesn't hook you, then perhaps the fact that she brings a pet monkey with her will show you endless possibilities of the insanity which will ensue. 


When you find Elinor Rochdale arriving at the wrong house and being persuaded to become The Reluctant Widow of the man who lives there, perhaps you think you'll settle in for a lovely "happily-ever-after" kind of moment. This theory will be proven wrong, and the real adventure begins when Elinor is caught up in the middle of an international spy ring, housebreakers, uninvited guests, and murder.


The first book in her Country House Mystery Series with Footsteps in the Dark starts her readers off with almost a Gothic twist as brother, Peter, and sisters, Celia and Margaret, inherit an old house from their late uncle. Headed down there to asses their legacy, joined by Celia's husband and aunt, they soon find out that their country treasure is not only the worse for wear, but it's inhabited by a ghost who wants them out. Digging into this book is more fun than you can imagine, and you might just start to believe in ghosts.


A personal favorite of mine is Why Shoot the Butler? A brazen young lady is bent over a dead body on the side of a deserted street. Most people would convict her on sight, but not Frank Amberley. Barrister and occasional help (or hindrance, depending on who you ask) to the police, Frank is pulled into a baffling case where the evidence against Shirley Brown is mounting, and he has no choice but to prove her innocence or explain to the police why he let her go in the first place. Humorous with a side of audacious and arrogant characters, the reader will appreciate that the person who's dead, and not the killer, happens to be the butler.


I fell in love with Inspector Hannasyde and Inspector Hemingway and their ways of solving each crime. Beyond her Regency romances and mysteries, The Masqueraders is my favorite Heyer Historical romance. I can't ever say enough about the wonderful characters that catch your attention and their absurd plots that keep your hooked until the very end.


4. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the genre: 5/5
Everything I've read by Georgetter Heyer has been a true pleasure. Her novels, no matter their genre heading, are gratifying. The characters she brings to the page are a classification all on their own, and your desire to know how they're going to act, react, and get out of their predicaments -- sometimes made by themselves, is so much fun to read. I think Heyer sets a high bar for each of her genres, and I don't think anyone looking for a vibrant, entertaining read will be disappointed. Of course, if you love sassy characters, then you will assuredly be in for a treat.

5. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the content: 5/5
Every book I have ever picked up and read by Georgette Heyer has created hours of endless laughs. I'm agog at how often her sarcasm, wit, and character-defining disdain is portrayed in such a perfect fashion. I'm always in love with her precocious, diverting, tongue-in-cheek dialogue played out by well-intentioned characters. I can't say enough about how every plot has me enchanted from the first sentence, and several characters have me in stitches by the first piece of dialogue. I'm in love with these characters and these books, and it amuses me that this is only the case for a rare handful of authors. Georgette Heyer is certainly among those coveted few.

6. Overall Story Rating: 5/5
Do yourself a favor and give Georgette Heyer's work a try! Not because I say so or even because I'm rating all of her work a 5/5. Seriously, she is a quick-witted writer that anyone can appreciate, even moreso for her humor and facetious characters. I'm delighted to share my love of this wonderful author with you, and I do hope you'll give her a try! 






Thanks for joining me, and as always, Happy Reading!!

~Rebecca Reddell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg