Review of The Killing Hour by Lisa Gardner

I might not be a huge fan of horror, but I do enjoy a good mystery. I love the twists and turns an author gives to send you one way in your thinking before you spin on a dime and head in a new direction. I love not knowing who the "bad guy" is until the end. I love putting all of the pieces together and seeing how the professionals, police, and amateur detectives make the connections. It's exciting, harrowing, and unexpected.

I mean, don't even get me started with my obsession for Veronica Mars, or we could be here all day. You know Hulu has a new mini-series of the teen noir drama mystery show is coming out this July right? July 26th starts an epic beginning to the new life of Veronica Mars, and I can't wait!! Until then, you can also enjoy seasons 1-3 on Hulu starting July 1st and reacquaint yourself with the teen detective and her best friends. Okay. I'm getting sidetracked, but can you blame me? Kristen Bell is Veronica Mars, and that show will be legendary until the day I die. Now, back to the book reveiw...

Lisa Gardner is a master of her field. The details she gives to the characters and their professions are insightful and helps give you a point of reference for where they're coming from and where this knowledge will lead them. She creates such 3D characters, usually, that you feel as if you can get into their heads and know what they will do next.

I have read several of her books, and always, I highly recommend her as a mystery author. Her stories are intense, unpredictable, and gratifying. You know they'll always get the culprit in the end, even if you aren't sure how, when, or where that will happen.

The story you read until you get there is always exciting. It feels compelling and shocking in equal measures. All you want to do is keep reading until you find out what happens. This is the type of story all books should be. As a reader, you want to grip the edge of your seat and hold on for a wild ride.

Therefore, if I have not adequately introduced you to Lisa Gardner before, I'm about to give you my opinions, thoughts, and ideas about her and the newest book I've read entitled The Killing Hour.


Kimberly Quincy is an FBI agent in training. She's a bit cocky, has had a rocky start to her life's story, and is the daughter of a popular FBI profiler. In fact, many of Gardner's books revolve around Pierce Quincy and his partner, Rainie. Each of those stories are pure perfection, but now, we get to see Quincy's daughter in action and get her view of the world.

As an agent, Kim has learned a lot from her father. She's seen first-hand what can happen when a criminal gets his way. Her personal life is one string of scary situations that haven't all turned out well. I won't elaborate because I don't want to spoil anything, but this character's past sets up this book and how she reacts to what goes on next.

A serial killer is on the loose, and he hasn't killed in years, but that's all about to change.

During a routine training exercise on the field, Kim takes a detour into the woods. It's within the FBI grounds that she makes a shocking discovery. A body has been left there on the ground. A girl with blond hair and a suprising similarity to her sister. This discovery leads Kim to only one conclusion: she has to help solve this crime no matter what.

However, there's another special agent in the mix, and he knows this particular killer. He's seen evidence of his work with six others. Five dead, and one found alive to tell the tale. After three years, they can't find the man creating these elaborate crimes.

He always kidnaps in twos. Two girls, two locations, two types of death. One is disposed of right away and acts as a physical map for where the second one can be located. Only once did they make it in time, and that was a blessing.

This time, Kim is determined to help the handsome agent find the killer and put a stop to his end of terror. So, she joins forces with Special Agent Mac McCormack. Since she's still in training, her help isn't wanted by those in charge. McCormack might be the original detective on the case, when it was in Georgia, but this is Virginia, and the locals aren't eager for his insight.

Mac and Kim break off into their own team to learn what they can and follow their own trail, but they are quickly interrupted by the whole FBI and her father. As the clock ticks, the second victim is losing her fight to stay alive. If they don't find her soon, she will die like all the others. This case is not only time-sensitive, but it's going to take the characters to the very breaking-point of their careers and their lives.

The most important question: Will the second victim stay alive long enough for them to find her, or will they make it too late?


Below, I've shared the breakdown of my rating and review of this book. I hope you enjoy learning more and find a new author and book to enjoy!


Numeric Breakdown:

1: didn't like it
2: it was okay
3. liked it
4. really liked it
5. it was amazing
(As on Amazon and Goodreads)


1. Writing Style: 4/5

Always engaging, this author introduces us to the problem right away. Gardner hooks us with the killer's background. He's killed before, and he'll kill again. We're given a breakdown of his crimes and launched into the overview of the victims he's murdered. The author spends enough time on the charaters and their surroundings to give you a complete visual of what's happening step-by-step. There are enough twists and turns to keep you reading and wanting to know more.


2. Overall Plot: 4/5

The plot itself was unique. I haven't read a mystery with this type of conspiracy, and that alone would have earned it a 5/5, but I felt as if there was a lot of telling and information download within this story that took me out of the immediate action. There were some parts that I already suspected would happen, which led them to fall flat for me. The actual storyline kept it from falling to a 3, but the revelations and systematic breakdown of the story as it progressed kept it from being a 5.


3. Characters (how you relate and/or enjoy them): 2/5

It wasn't that I didn't like the characters, but I just couldn't relate to them or get invested in them as much as I have in the past. Mac was a bit 2D for me. He had a case he couldn't solve; he was going to follow it to the end; he likes the girl he teams up with; he ends up falling for her after only a few weeks and not that much personal interaction. After all, their conversations and involvement stemmed from the case, about the case, and it never expanded from there by much. Kim was a decent character. I liked her drive and ambition, and I appreciated her desire to catch the killer and save the second girl, but I couldn't really get into her character beyond that. Her family life, the addition of her father and his partner, and her burning need to get the culprit were the only things I found likeable about her. Really? I found the characters to be flat and uninspiring. I'm sorry. That's probably rude, and I hate saying that. Others, though, might like them more, and I wouldn't consider not recommend this book based on this part of my review alone.


4. Unexpected thrills: 5/5

The killer kept this story interesting. He was an unexpected part all on his own. The killer is dubbed "the eco-killer" because of a notice put in the papers before each killing that the police eventually are led to believe he is putting in the newspapers as his "calling card."

His message? "Clock ticking...planet dying...animals weeping...rivers screaming. Can't you hear it? Heat kills." The origin of his message, his background, and how you find out make this read worth continuing.


5. Hooks/Attention-kept: 4/5

This story held my attention and kept me hooked based on the other parts the reader gets such as: the killer's pov, the victim's pov, and the slow unraveling of the plot itself.


6. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the genre: 3/5

Mysteries are my jam. I love whodunits and finding out who the miscreant is by the end of my journey. Normally, I love Lisa Gardner books. There's only one that comes to mind that I couldn't even finish. It involved children, and I couldn't do it. I would have rated it a 1 based on its content, but I didn't rate it at all because I couldn't make myself go through it all and didn't think, as a result, it would be a fair rating. However, this story was enjoyable for several of the points already mentioned, but I wouldn't call it my favorite mystery or Lisa Garnder book.


7. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the storyline: 3/5

The mystery was fresh and original. As I stated earlier, I enjoyed the pov of the killer and victim. They brought life into the story and kept it from being too predicatble. I wouldn't call this my favorite read out of all her books though.


8. Revealing of Facts: 3/5

They were well-plotted and gave information as appropriate, but I didn't think they were exciting or unforeseeable or shocking really. It was standard in its approach and breakdown.


9. The Ending: 4/5

I was happy with the ending and how everything turned out. Without giving any spoilers, I was pleased with how things were unveiled with the victim. The killer is caught, but I wouldn't call it my favorite revelation ever. Basically, the victim's part kept this from being a 3, and the killer's part kept it from being a 5. Also, the main characters involvement in solving the crime kept it from being a 5.


10. Overall Story Rating: 3/5

To sum it up, I enjoyed the plot of the story. I liked how different it was from other books I've read. The writing style and unexpected thrills were what kept this story engaging and kept me reading. Again, the killer's pov and why he was doing what he was doing, and the victim's story and my desire to see her rescued kept me involved in the story. However, overall, I liked it and found it to be a 3/5. The other results written up above are what kept it from being a 4 or 5. Normally, I love Lisa Gardner books and will always promote her as an author to read. However, this one wasn't a favorite for me.


However, I hope you will give Lisa Gardner a chance. Try her other books, and if you do read this one and feel differently than I do, let me know! I hope I've inspired you to try a new author and a new book, and I'm excited to hear what mysteries you enjoy.



Thanks, and as always, Happy Reading!

~Rebecca Reddell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg