The Adventures of Author Stuart Gibbs

You might wonder why I love Stuart Gibbs so much. He's one of those rare authors that has me buying every book he writes. Whether it's his Funjungle series, Space series, or Spy series, I'm in! He now has me hooked on his Musketeer series. I just read book one and found it hard to put down.

Why? you ask.

Well, I can only reply with how light-hearted, funny, relateable, incorrigible, and inspiring his books are. The main characters are endearing, flawed, and brave. His stories are packed with mystery, laughs, and fun. They're the type of clean-reading that I love to pick up when I need something to read that doesn't hurt my brain. It's carefree reading at its best.

I'll try to break down the next series of his that I've just embarked on reading: The Last Musketeer.


Numeric Breakdown:
1: didn't like it
2: it was okay
3. liked it
4. really liked it
5. it was amazing


1. Writing Style: 5/5
Stuart Gibbs has an effortless writing style that flows on the page and can delight anyone from eight to eighty. His books are suited to reach the younger crowd, but they are a wonderful example of fun, light, and clean reading that helps you to have a giggle and feel good about your life choices. The Last Musketeer is like that and brings on new meaning to the treasured and famed story brought to us by Alexander Dumas. Gibbs creates characters that you can relate to on some level, and he presents an amusing respite from the land of adulthood. You can read his books in one day, and why shouldn't you? They are too entertaining not to dive into and feel good finishing.


2. Overall Plot: 5/5
A boy comes to Paris with his parents to sell off their paintings and antiquities. They're in a bit of a financial snag and need to sell quickly. However, when they arrive at the museum to discuss the selling of their accumulated family property, there is a hiccup. The man in charge isn't who they think he is, and he steals a necklace of the mother's and runs off. The family follow in pursuit, and before you know it, they end up transported to the past. Once there, they are arrested, and Greg Rich is left in a strange, old world, on the run, and in desperate need of help. The continuous action, funny character interactions, and new twist on a beloved story keep you engaged and wanting to find out if Greg wins the day.


3. Characters (how you relate and/or enjoy them): 5/5
The characters are young, but they're easy to like and wish well. Greg cares for his parents and wants to help them. His sidekicks turn out to be the great Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. Together, they make a great team and help deal with the situation at hand. They're good characters that help get the story told and do it with flair.


4. Unexpected thrills: 4/5
Well, going back in time was definitely unexpected for the main character, even though I suspected it. Meeting the famed musketeers wasn't surprising either. I think for the most part, I was a bit clued-in on what might happen. However, it was still an excellent read and helped pass the time delightfully. I always enjoy Stuart Gibbs stories, and this one was no exception. The 4/5 rating signals more the lack of unexpected thrills that happened for me because I guessed or was aware of most of them. The one unexpected thrill that I didn't get (SPOLIER ALERT) was that the bad guy, Richlieu, is a part of Greg's fmaily history. There are a few other surprises related to this revelation, and it makes it keep the unexpected thrill of a story that I enjoy.


5. Hooks/Attention-kept: 4/5
The action and adventure, revelation of the connection to Richlieu, and the ending help this story to show its hooks and maintain the attention of the reader. There is something constantly happening, and that makes a book a good read, especially when all the dots connect at the end.


6. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the genre: 5/5
I liked the premise of the story, the time travel, the French history, the different approach to the well-known Musketeers, the twist on them being kids and not adults, the evidence of Richlieu, the more-or-less happy ending, and the open-ended way the book concluded. It was another delightful story by Gibbs, who helps bring a well-rounded cast of boy characters to the table and give them an exciting tale to tell.


7. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the storyline: 5/5
I love all of Stuart Gibbs stories. I haven't found one, yet, that I would put down and not pick up again. He has a light-hearted, action packed way of filling every storyline. His characters are adorable and fun to read about, and you enjoy when they. succeed. I enjoy his ability to create characters and stories that keep the reader engaged. I feel he's an excellent writer for boys and girls. His work is clean and family-friendly and full of excitement.


8. Revealing of Facts: 5/5
Gibbs keeps the setting real with facts about the time-period, setting, and king. He keeps the setting of his story real without bogging it down with too much detail. It's a great way to gain a bit of historical insight and keep the story involved in the past without allowing the reader to become confused or overwhelmed with information.


9. The Ending: 5/5
The ending is open to what the author is bringing to the table next. He's creating a whole new world, and it will allow us to continue with the characters and their story. We definitely need to know how the Rich family intends to get home and how they live in the past until the day to reunite with their future comes. I'm certainly glad the ending remains open to what comes next.


10. Overall Story Rating: 5/5
I love Stuart Gibbs's fun, adventurous, and witty characters. His stories remain a fun, quick read that delights its readers with action, mystery, humor, and some scientific and historic facts. His FunJungle series remains my favorite with his Spy School series a very close second. The introduction of his Last Musketeer series joins his Space Case series as a new way to love reading. I'm delighted to read anything by Gibbs, and I continue to remain a fan of his work, which I plan to share with my nieces, nephews, and fellow readers everywhere. This is why I've rated it a 5/5. 

If you haven't read Stuart Gibbs work, I highly recommend him. He's a great family read, and you can feel good about your kids reading his work.😊




Until next time, thanks for joining me, and Happy Reading!!

~Rebecca Reddell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg