Book Review: "Scrappy Little Nobody"


Book Reviews and Bios, Oh My!


Related imageUntil recently, with the start of Ellen DeGeneres' book Seriously... I'm KiddingI never was a fan of reading celebrity bios and autobios. I never picked one up and said, "I've been dying to read this!"

Yet, there it was. Ellen's book. Just sitting there. So, yeah, I picked it up. I flipped through the first couple pages, giggling, snorting, and realizing I've been missing this whole other world.

*cue Little Mermaid music*

It was the start of a small obsession. I LOVED Ellen's book! Yes, since I've read her story I feel like we're BFFs now.

That happens.

You read about someone else's life, make connections, realize they're just a mix of confident insecurity like you, laugh until your sides hurt, and have an epiphany about how you obviously were meant to be best friends. Long-distant, no-restraining-order type of friends, but still, best buds.

Thanks, Ellen.



Image result for sounds like me

Second, there came Sounds Like Me by Sara Bareilles. It was SO good, I included it in my Top Five Summer Book Love reads. If you haven't read my blog on my summer picks, go catch up! Tell me what books you loved this summer and what's on your current list while you're at it.

Sara was genuine and sincere. I loved how her book broke down parts of her life into songs. Considering I love a lot of her music, the association between what she was going through and how it inspired her music was beautiful to read. It gave me a little insight and a reason to relate to her lyrics even more.

I hope I can be "Brave" just like Sara. Kudos to her for helping her fans be a little more resilient and real. We all can use a voice of sanity in this world.

Now, I'm hooked. I've been piling the autobiographies and biographies onto my shelf at work with the hope of reading the reality of my favorite artists. I want to know a little more about them, but I want to hear their realistic, honest, and hilarious voices more.



Up next...







29868610She is a fabulous actress with spunk, sarcasm, and wit. Her autobiography reflects her tenacious approach to life and self-deprecating humor. It's always nice to see someone who is considered famous share their memories, background, and mistakes. Their revelations help us relate to them on a whole new level and have those moments of sympathetic and empathetic tugs of the heart.

An excellent read, this author's look back at life makes me giggle and appreciate how many parts of her life remind me of my own. No. I'm not revealing which ones, lol.

Anna Kendrick's frank admissions, relationship with her brother, and down-to-earth voice are what make this a lovable and enjoyable read. I highly recommend it!

Here are a few snippets that really hooked my attention and made me like this actress even more:


On having a brother: "At a certain point he realized that I was sticking around (no matter how often he told me I was adopted and should run away). He reluctantly accepted that he would have to put up with my pestering questions and should probably try to ameliorate my lameness in the process. ... He protected me, too." (Origin Story, pg 7)

Well, Anna, I understand your relationship with your brother. I have my own brother, and although, he's younger and not older -- try telling him that. He has the whole "protect me" philosophy down, too. By "protect me", I do mean he actually protects me. He's a police officer, too, so...



On boys: "By fifth grade, I cracked a major development in strategy. I needed to get boys to talk to me. I wasn't pretty, but I could make them like me through the magic of conversation." (Boys and the Terror of Being Near Them, pg 89)

Oh, Anna. I've been there. Talking to the opposite sex is awkward. You want to make such a great impression, and you think if you have the same interests as them, surely, it will be easy?

Not. Even. Close.

Good call on deciding to only crush on boys who have the same interests as you and who like you for who you are, Anna. I hope every girl reads that section of your book. Maybe only that section until they're 18 or older, lol.


On her grandmother's funeral: "I felt like I was letting my mom down. I'd made it through that conversation with some dignity, and here I was crying in front of Tommy, making him embarrassed and uncomfortable." (My Grandmother's Funeral, pg 223).

I'm sorry for your loss, Anna. It's hard to lose your grandmother, and it's even harder to feel like you have to not show emotion for the sake of other's feelings. Been there, done that.

You try to suck it up, hold it in, and hope no one asks the wrong question at the wrong time. However, sometimes you just have to let it out. Thankfully, he didn't offer you any water (readers, read this book and find out what this reference means!).


Overall, this is a heartfelt, comical, endearing, forthright, satirical, real look into an actress's authentic world. The humor and connection are bonuses. You have to read it to believe it. May I suggest you try it with your favorite drink and a pair of sweatpants?

Again, read the book, and you'll understand.



Let me know if you've read Scrappy, Little Nobody.
What are your favorite parts? 
Do you have other autobiographies or bios I should be reading?
Comment and let me know!


You can find all of these books at your local websites/stores:

   







Until next time, Readers...

Happy Reading!

Picture found online @ DaisiesHeartBook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg