The Tether by Julia Ash

A few months ago, I introduced readers to Dark Fantasy Author Julia Ash. I read the first book in her ELI Chronicles series, The One and Only. It was the first book I've read in this sub-genre, purposefully and with great trepidation. And I LOVED it!! 

Author Julia Ash is "author of a dark-fantasy trilogy (The ELI Chronicles) which includes THE ONE AND ONLY (April 2018), THE TETHER (April 2019), and THE TURNING POINT (planned for release in the spring of 2020).

As a realist with a passion for the fantastical, Ash enjoys reading and writing fresh twists involving monsters in literature (zombies, vampires, and werewolves).

She lives with her husband Rick and two Brittany bird-dogs on Maryland's Eastern Shore."

Of course, I wanted to find out what happened next in this spooky thriller, and I ordered both books posthaste. When I originally gave this series a try, I ordered the ebook version of The One and Only. Enjoying it so much, I knew ordering the books themselves and having them on my bookshelf forever had to be the next step. 

I was excited to begin both, but as you might already know from my previous posts, I had to read The Dark Between the Stars by Kevin J. Anderson as well as The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths for my class, and then I began reading a beloved new Young Adult series, Piper Investigations, by Shannon Greenland. The prospects of these new reads were amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed two of three, for different reasons, and I, finally, came to The Tether.



*SPOILERS ALERT* *SPOILERS ALERT* *SPOILERS ALERT* *SPOILERS ALERT*


Numeric Breakdown:

1: didn't like it
2: it was okay
3. liked it
4. really liked it
5. it was amazing


1. Writing Style: 5/5
Author Julia Ash is a straight-forward, no-nonsense, audacious writer. Some particulars about her writing style include third person point of view, multiple points of view from various characters, a stalwart protagonist, an unlikely antagonist, and the resurrection (of sorts) of an old nemesis. 

You have all the makings of a dangerous new plot: Ruby Spencer is still fighting zombies, but their numbers are evaporating. The new unlikely antagonist was the creator of our stalwart protagonist, and he wants paid dividends for his unknowing and uncooperative investment. Our old nemesis, Dr. Emory, rears his scary head from behind bars. 

There's a full-plate of bad guys to contend with in this new story; the same motif emerges: protecting the human race; and the tone turns a shade darker - if that's even possible. We're at war with an ancient vampire, a curse is in the mix, a questionable ally comes knocking, and Ruby is once again in the midst of the chaos. 

I love the multiple points of view, the good triumphs over evil theme, and Ruby's kick-a** ability to come up with a plan and instigate it. She is the one and only, and yet again, she comes to the rescue. However, the author does a nice job of setting the tone through the characters, narrative, and descriptions. Her main baddie has a distinct voice with a personable twist. We see our heroine, again, faced with a quandary of trying to protect her loved ones - Clay and Gabby, while trying to balance the right thing to do. 

There's a lovely juxtaposition that climbs over from the first book about whether it's okay to feel more responsibility, fear, and love for your own family over those of the world? She's faced, again, with the question of changing humanity to "save" other humans from natural deaths when she can "save" them through what she is. How fair is it to save her own family, and not other humans? 

I feel this overlying question hasn't been fully answered, yet, but Ruby makes a good effort when she mentions the difference of saving someone caught in the middle of a war or cross-fire as opposed to saving someone who lived a long life and is at the end of their lifespan. It's definitely a philosophical point of view to chew on, and readers can enjoy, understand, or argue with Ruby's pov.

Julia Ash's world building and imagery are beautiful, realistic, and easy to picture. The mood helps set the tone of the plot itself, and it provides a gothic edge to its revelations. We're, also, welcomed into a shifting tone where hope hides on the horizon one minute and despair delegates from the sidelines the next. 

The conflict-resolution is gore-less, in a sense, and it welcomes diligent thought and teamwork on behalf of the MC. Our protagonist has an inner conflict, which we're not privy to until the end results, when she decides whether remaining a vampire is in her best interest and in the best interest of the world.


2. Overall Content: 4/5
The writing style sets us up for a solid story win. Although nine years have passed when we're welcomed back into the lives of Ruby, Clay, and Gabby, it doesn't feel as if much time has passed at all. We're reintroduced to the trio when their fourth family member, Mai the dog, is having a litter of pups. This litter turns out to be just one, and it isn't certain the wee one will make it. 

Why? 

Because the Earth is still bouncing back from the virus pandemic that created zombies. 

The animal kingdom is working its way toward regenerating, and Ruby is still working to keep the balance intact. She's fighting zombies in an effort to expunge all of their kind from the world. However, it isn't a job that will end overnight, but there are significantly less roaming the streets.  

What's interesting is the world created beyond the story being told on Earth. Author Julia Ash takes our imaginations on a drive through a different type of creationist story, which shares of worlds beyond our own. This is where we get the world-building of the vampire life and planets in all its seamless glory. 

Side-stepping here: Everyone has their own take on vampires and the world from whence they came. Classics and populars include: Bram Stoker, Anne Rice, Brian Lumley, Stephanie Meyer, L.J. Smith, Timothy Hammer, Lana Melyan, and Dorian Tsukioka. Of course, there are several others, but these are a few that come to mind. Branching off from this horror genre is the way in which tales are told. 

Ash has her own way of creating this setting, and its very well-done. She produces a realistic alternate world where these beings exist. What they can or cannot do is somewhat reflective of popular vampire culture, but it isn't reliant completely on those age-old motifs. She, instead, builds her own way of doing things, and she does it well. 

Readers can, certainly, find themselves getting wrapped up in what's happening with the King of Darkness and his world as well as the Queen of Light. They provide another juxtaposition which fits nicely into this author's version of the creation story. 

Emotion is a strong motivator in this story as well, and after getting to know Ruby in the first book, you can see where her loyalties lie. These loyalties, in turn, give you a stepping stone into appreciating her character to its fullest. We can understand her motives and appreciate her storyline even more. 

I suppose if I were to be nit-picky, for a brief second, I would mention wanting a bit more from Clay's character since he was one of the multiple character pov. However, I think he was included enough in terms of what his character was meant to bring to the table at this time. I can always understand the spotlight needing to be directed elsewhere, and we do get more from nine-year-old Gabby, which is delightful.  

Wishing for Ruby to defeat her foes plays with your sentimental strings, and it invests you even further into the character and her world. That's the nicest part about what Julia Ash brings to the table. It defines my respect and recognition of her talents.

Now, with any story, I reserve the right to love it, hate, or tolerate it. Of course, by now, you've gotten the sense and understanding of why I really have appreciated these characters and stories from Ash. However, there are a few parts of them that make me a little uncomfortable or have scenes I'm not fond of, and as a result, it can add to little "deductions" here and there. These, eventually, lead to a full point or more subtraction over the entire story. 

For the most part, there wasn't anything that I didn't like about this book. It has a concrete plot, the characters are still engaging, the foreshadowing and ratio of narrative and description in regard to action and dialogue is excellent, the intensity is present, and the conflict-resolution ends in an unexpected way which I really liked. So, you can see that there aren't any negatives in those realms. I suppose my 4/5 comes more from the intimate scenes (one of which the author forewarned me about) and some of the little pieces I didn't love. These are strictly from my point of view, and as always, don't reflect negatively on the writing style or story itself. It's just personal preference.


3. Hooks/Attention-kept: 5/5
If this whole other world stuff, the King of Darkness versus the Queen of Light, teleportation (basically), end-of-the-world calamity, plans that made me a bit wide-eyed, and the still-present Dr. Evil (I mean, Dr. Emory) weren't enough to keep a reader enthralled, I don't know what will. 

Not knowing what was going to happen next was a plus. Ruby's insane plan: a plus. Invention of whole other worlds: a plus. New antagonist with hidden layers: a plus. Teleportation, because hello! it's teleportation: a plus. Gabby's growing powers as a human: a plus. Ruby's own evolving gifts: a plus. 

The hooks kept coming, and I'm glad I stuck around to watch them explode like fireworks all over the pages.


4. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the genre: 5/5
Again, dark fantasy has never been my thing. However, Author Julia Ash has done a significant job of bringing me into the world she's created. She's developed in me an appreciation for her characters, plot, and the sub-genre in which she writes. It carries those gloomy, dark, horror-type elements without being unbelievable or over the top. Which is a high compliment considering you're dealing with a completely farcical world to begin with. 


5. Overall enjoyment of the story based on the content: 4/5
This is some really great writing. I think I might like the second book even better than the first. Usually, a lot of author's use the second book as a bridge-book, if you will, or a fill-in-the-gap book leading to scarier more challenging things.

Nope.

Here we are dealt a full-deck. It's a new mystery, a new horror-filled villain, another fight between the essential good and evil, and the elements of whole new worlds. This is not your typical book two. I was more than pleased with its literary elements and rich break-down.

In a sense, this could be a stand-alone book, but really, it isn't. It, most assuredly, stands on its own two feet and shines for the work of fiction that it represents. Excellent continuation of an innovative and unconventional conspiracy in the ELI Chronicles



6. Overall Story Rating: 5/5
It should come as no surprise that this book reigns in the same sphere as its predecessor. Its imaginative and absorbing plot and characters had me unable to put this book down. There were a couple of times, once between chapters 16-18, that I had to put this book down. I was becoming irritated with the characters and needed a breather, but I couldn't set it aside for long. Before I knew it, I had picked it back up and kept reading. I HAD to know what was going to happen next!

As I've mentioned before, when I think of a book after it's been put down, that means something. When I'd go to bed at night, I'd be thinking about this story and what might Ruby do next and how would Ruby defeat the LOD and why did she do that stupid thing and why the heck isn't Em dead yet. 

Needless to say, it was an intoxicating read that kept me intent on finishing it. I couldn't put it down. I couldn't help but think about what was going to happen next. I couldn't give this book anything less than a 5/5. 



To Find Out More About Author Julia Ash: 



Barnes & Noble: The One and Only and The Tether

Kobo eBooks: The One and Only and The Tether



Instagram: @julia.ash.books


Kirkus Reviews: The One and Only, The Tether, and Pro Connect

The BookLife Prize: The Tether

Interviews: by Miranda Reads and Peter Martuneac





Thanks for joining me, and as always, Happy Reading!! :)


~Rebecca Reddell

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Wow, WOW! What a wonderful review, Becky!!! Thank you so much for your kind words regarding The Tether! You have made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fabulous book, Julia!! I hope others will give your ELI Chronicles series a try and find out what I'm blogging about!! ;)

      Delete
  3. I wanted to mention how beautiful your refreshed blog is!!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love greens and trees, and I thought it would be appropriate to combine them. It's a lovely spring-like setting for reading some new books!😉

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Going Downhill From Here: Spy School Goes South by Stuart Gibbs

My Top 5 WWII Movies: Book Research

Nobody's Victim by Carrie Goldberg